Monday, February 6, 2012

Ode to the Busy Mom

oh, sweet sleep...how I once took you for granted...
Thankful to have come across this on Little Writer Momma in my random blog browsing.  I could not have said it better myself...especially tonight as I am still working on getting my youngest to sleep at 9:00 with no sign of relief on the horizon.  Lesson plans have been abandoned, the laundry awaits the dryer, my body craves the comfort of a warm shower, sweats, and a good book.  But I am a mommy first, and my job awaits my undivided attention.

Ode to the Busy Mom
By Lisa Littlewood

Perhaps you think you've gone plain crazy, 
Or if not mad, than simply lazy
For you used to keep a house so clean,
And now a polished floor, well that's a dream. 

There are crumbs that cover every piece
Of linoleum floor and then there is grease
Stuck to the burners upon the stove
and Cheerio dust that will stick to your toes.

Laundry piles near the washer so high
that it shocks your own mother, she responds with "Oh My!"
"Are you sick?" she asks. "Is everything alright?
You should never have more laundry than you can do in one night."

"Oh mother," you say, as you roll your eyes.
"It's about the quality of life not the laundry pile size."
But even as you say it you wonder inside, 
Am I doing enough? Am I doing it right?

Motherhood is a journey wrought with doubt
Whether all you are doing will ever amount
To anything important, to anything dear
Or will we all just end up in a therapist's chair?!

Chin up fellow mommas, sisters in life
My house is also a mess, my children, they fight. 
It is simply a part of the road me must travel
Even though it can feel like it all might unravel. 

For when you love and serve from a place that cares
Does it really matter if your sink prompts stares?
Does it really matter if your shelves are dusty 
Or if your refrigerator smells just a little musty?

A day will come when your floor will be clean. 
Your dishes put away, your house again pristine. 
When that day comes it will be quiet inside
For your children will be off living their lives. 

Lives of their own and their mess you will miss. 
So for now ignore the laundry and give them a kiss.

No comments :

Post a Comment