Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fairy Bread


Tomorrow night, Gavin's school is hosting a Cultural Night.  Each grade level is assigned a country or continent, and Gavin's grade level has Australia.  They have created art projects and learned songs and games that are from their country/continent to present and share with parents.  He could not.be.more.excited.  Most of what he's been working on has been a secret (his choice, I assume), however from the little bits and pieces he's leaked out, we are in store for couple of cute songs and will see a musical instrument that he's made. 

And then there's the food.  Last week, the PTO sent home a form asking for either cookie or fruit donations from the country/continent your child has been learning about.  Being a bit of a fan of baking (*smile*), I jumped at the opportunity to try my hand at a new recipe.  Two nights ago, when the PTO representative called to remind me of the cookies, I told her we were trying a new recipe and that if (by chance), it did not turn out, would it be a problem for me to go with an old Italian standby and make pizzelles.  It's as if the woman on the other end of the phone could read the cramped calendar and lengthy 'to-do' list that I had in front of my bleary and bagged eyes when she suggested the.easiest.recipe.ever.

Fairy Bread.  Yes, you read correctly.  Fairy Bread.  Apparently our adorable friends from down 'unda have a tradition at children's birthday parties where they eat this delightfully colorful treat.  The origin is not directly known (or at least, I didn't find it in my research), however there is a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson that bears the same name.  So the argument is along the lines of the chicken and the egg.  Did the poem inspire the food, or the food inspire the poem?

When I heard how to make it, I was sold.  Not only was it quick, easy, and inexpensive...it was no-bake and the kids could get involved in the fun (without too much of a mess--double bonus).

Although I heard the basics of Fairy Bread from the PTO president in our conversation, I decided to do a little further research.  How I have lived 30 years without knowing of this fun treat is beyond me.  As it turns out, fairy bread has it's own fan page on Facebook, as well several blog posts featuring instructions and accompanying photos.  For those who need the super specific, you can even check out the Wiki How

Or, you can read this. 

Fairy Bread
sliced white bread (crusts optional)
spreadable butter (margarine ok, but butter tastes better--make sure it's unsalted, sweet butter!)
colored sprinkles (we used non-pareils)

1. Spread butter on the bread (spread all the way to the edges for the best results!)
2. Turn buttered side of bread down into a shallow bowl filled with sprinkles
3. Cut into shapes--triangles are the traditional shape in Australia.
4. Enjoy.

This sounds a bit strange perhaps, but really, it's not too bad, and of course Brynn is an absolute fan simply because the name includes the word 'fairy'.  Both kids took turns dunking the bread into the sprinkles and the whole process took about 20 minutes for two loaves of bread (which, by the way, makes a ton of fairy bread). 

The kids were so proud and excited to have a hand in helping create something for Cultural Night.  Me?  I was excited for the ease and adorableness of the recipe.  And to eat a piece.  Or two.  Ok, ok...I had three.




No comments :

Post a Comment