Monday, April 25, 2011

Brynn's 'throne'

one week old...first ride in the swing...a sleeping success!

One week old.  Raegan is already one week old.  Today was the first day Gavin went back to preschool since becoming a 'big-big' brother.  He took a picture of his new baby sister in to school to share with his friends and teachers.  I wish I could have been a fly on the wall watching him talk about her.  This morning when I went in to his room to get him up and ready for school, he doted on Raegan, kissing her head and asking her how she slept.  I can only imagine how proud he was when he told his class about her.


handsome 'big big' brother

Meanwhile, Brynn spent the day at home with mommy, daddy, and Raegan.  She was quite disappointed that she wouldn't have Gavin around to play with today, so I decided it would be a good day for a movie marathon and some mommy and Brynn cuddling.  Yesterday, she received Tangled from the Easter bunny, so what better time to watch it than today.  I suggested the movie, and she was thrilled. 

Earlier in the day, we were at odds over using the potty, so I made the decision to have her be bare from the waist down (she's successful with going to the potty this way).  I was finishing up a few things I was working on, so I sent B to get the movie from the basement.  I didn't think much of it at the time, but she took a little longer than usual to come back up.  I figured she was distracted by some toys.  After a little while, she came back up and sat on her blanket on the couch.  When I was all set, I called her into the kitchen to pick out a snack for the movie.  That's when I heard it.

"Mommy, poo on my blankey!".  Oh goodie.  I went into the living room, and sure enough...she was right.  She knew I wasn't pleased (who would be?!), so she was pretty obedient as I shuffled her into the bathroom.  Before starting the movie, I headed down to the laundry to take care of her blanket.  As I walked down the stairs, I saw something odd.  When I got to the bottom, I suddenly realized what took her so long to get the movie and some back upstairs...and why I was bringing her blanket downstairs to put in the washing machine.  I guess she's not as successful with the 'waist down' thing as I thought.  Needless to say, the discovery of this *surprise* put a little bit of a damper on the mood of 'princess day', especially when daddy came home and she realized his disappointment.

Thankfully, Brynn's mood shifts like the wind, and she was able to crack a smile when we told her we'd start the movie.  (As frustrating as 4 months of potty training attempts can be...getting angry at her isn't going to make her be successful...she reads the disappointment on our face and pretty much punishes herself)  And so we spent the afternoon watching Tangled and doting a little extra on our original princess. 

Brynn and Rapunzel...chomping on some Chex

Randy went to pick up Gavin from preschool, so Brynn and I continued her 'princess day' with story time while I fed Raegan.  She chose Pinkalicious, Purplicious, Goldilicious, Princess Sparkle, Dora and the Snow Princess, Knuffle Bunny Too, and some of the Princess Encyclopedia.  Mind you, these are the same titles I've been reading to her for the past few days since I've been home from the hospital...so keeping a smile on my face during the read-a-thon was a bit challenging!

The boys came home and rang the doorbell.  When Brynn went to the door, she saw a 'special delivery' just for her.  Randy had bought her a Disney princess potty, complete with a faux sapphire flusher that makes a *magical* sound when you depress it.  She.was.thrilled.  I have to say, if this $25 'fix' is all it takes to get this potty training thing to stick...I might scream.  Although, in retrospect I should have realized that it is Brynn we're trying to potty train, and that having her use the same potty chair that her brother used would be a preposterous suggestion on our part.  She requires something far more 'fancy', far more 'pink' to meet her requirements.  I only wish we would have thought of this sooner...and saved my basement carpet from being 'christened'.

No comments :

Post a Comment